Nurture the Earth: Plant Natives
Discover, Connect and Take Action by earning the National Garden Clubs Native Plants Badge for Girl Scouts.
This program encourages partnerships between Girl Scouts and local National Garden Clubs to teach Girl Scouts about native plants in their area.
Girl Scouts of all age levels are eligible to earn this badge, and NGC encourages this pursuit as a way to learn more about the environment, gardening, plants, trees and the impact that we, as individuals have on our planet.
The purpose of the Native Plants Badge is to encourage Girl Scouts and the National Garden Clubs to work collaboratively by:
- Promoting girl-to-girl, adult-to-adult, and girl-to-adult discussion about the National Garden Club initiative and partnership.
- Encouraging Girl Scouts to go to experts when they have questions while earning related badges, Try-Its, Interest Projects, or STUDIO 2B® charms.
- Showing girls a way to focus their earned awards when working toward the Girl Scout Bronze, Silver and Gold Awards.
To Earn the Native Plants Badge Girl Scouts Can:
Discover native plants. Girls will learn what plants are native to their area and how to preserve and protect those native plants as well as what invasive species are in their area. Girls will learn about resources and partnerships offered by their local National Garden Clubs.
Connect by working with their local National Garden Club members who will serve as project sponsor. In addition, girls are encouraged to make contact with native plant societies, horticultural professionals, and county extension services to help in completing project requirements.
Take action by doing the following:
- Interviewing someone about native plants in their area.
- Establishing a native beauty spot in a public garden, school, church, park, town or community.
- Spreading the word about native plants by sharing information learned with other troops and community groups, newspaper articles, radio and TV spots, or posters, fliers, and booklets.
Click here to order badges from the NGC Official Online Store, or call the National Garden Clubs Headquarters at (800) 550-6007 (orders only, please). Badges are $1.75 each, this includes shipping and handling.
For more information, contact:
Tricia Mitchell, Girl Scout Liaison for the National Garden Clubs, Inc.